Sunday, April 29, 2012

Review: Allergen Free Ener-G Products



Ener-G Products

I have seen a few of these products in Whole Foods before but had never tried them. I reached out to Ener-G to try a few of their products and they happily sent some for my review!  The items were at no cost to me, the opinions are mine.


Let me tell you a little about the company!  From their site: "Our mission at Ener-G Foods, as one of the country's foremost producers of foods for diet-restrictive individuals, is to provide a wide range of ready-made foods and mixes that are wholesome, nutritious, risk-free and great tasting. We are constantly responding to the demand for special diets with research, innovative products, and convenience foods."
This company has been  making good food for restrictive diets since 1962! I am amazed at their dedication and selection of food items.  One of the best features of their website is the 'search by allergen'.  This section is amazing.  I was able to search for gluten free, peanut free, tree nut free, dairy free and soy free all in one search.  How wonderful is that, that you don't have to read though each thing individually?  I still read each ingredient list, but that narrowed my search time tremendously. Their website is very easy to use! I just bought several items and because I spent $50 I was able to get free ground shipping.  Also, this month I saw that if you spend $40 you get a free pack of sunflower cookies!

On to my review...


We loved the Chocolate Chip Snack Bars!  In fact, I just ordered us a case this week :)  Here are their ingredients: Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Crisp Rice Cereal (rice flour, rice bran, honey, calcium carbonate), Corn Starch, Ener-G Chocolate Chips (evaporated cane juice, unsweetened chocolate, tapioca syrup), Organic Tapioca Syrup, Plum Puree (prune juice concentrate, dried plums), Organic Palm Fruit Oil, Filtered Water, Ener-G Egg Replacer (tapioca flour, potato starch, leavening [calcium lactate, calcium carbonate, glucono delta lactone], cellulose gum), Vanilla Powder (vanilla bean extractive & dextrose from corn), Salt.



EVERYone in the family gave this product two GIANT thumbs up :)  They were super good!  They were the perfect combination of sweet and filling.  Sometimes I would even eat a half of one and be so satisfied :)


We have been searching for pretzels that are free of dairy, soy, wheat, peanut/nuts.  We found that within the Puzzle Pretzels.  They were in fun puzzle shapes, which the kids really enjoyed. Ingredients: Potato Flour, Corn Starch, Rice Flour, Organic Palm Fruit Oil, Hi Maize Corn Starch, Corn Glucose, Ener-G Baking Powder (Sodium Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Potato Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate), Cellulose Gum, Bamboo Fiber, Salt, Yeast.


Review Results:
Mamma Veg: liked it!
Papa Veg: liked it!
Preschool Veg: liked it!
Toddler Veg: liked it!

We would definitely eat these again!


I was very excited to try the Tapioca Hot Dog Buns!  We just love tofu pups and are always looking for a good bun to accompany them!  This bun did the trick.  It was soft and complimented the tofu pup just as a wheat bun would. Ingredients: Filtered Water, Rice Flour, Tapioca Starch, High Oleic Safflower Oil, Pear Juice Concentrate, Bamboo Fiber, Yeast, Methylcellulose, Tapioca Syrup, Guar Gum, Organic Palm Fruit Oil, Salt, Orange Citrus Fiber, Calcium Phosphate, Baking Powder (Glucono Delta Lactone, Calcium Carbonate & Magnesium Carbonate). Enriched with Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin, Iron ,Folic Acid and Vitamin D.


I really liked that these buns has a longer shelf life.  I have been thinking about making up some tubs of allergy friendly food for emergencies.  These would last allot longer than other brands! (And they taste GREAT) We plan to eat them fresh and also put them in our emergency kits! Just ordered more this week.




Review Results:
Mamma Veg: liked it!
Papa Veg: liked it!
Preschool Veg: liked it!
Toddler Veg: liked it!



Overall, I am SUPER happy with all the Ener-G products and like I said earlier, I ordered a lot more this week :)  I can't wait to try my new products that I ordered!  To check out Ener-G's full catalog of products, visit HERE