Monday, February 6, 2012

Diaries of an Allergy Mamma: the school art project

In November 2011, Toddler Veg at the age of 18 months old was diagnosed with a life threatening allergy to peanuts, tree nuts and dairy.  I plan to use this as a diary of events...the highs and the lows.  I hope that as you read this you will chime in with any opinions, ideas, concerns or encouragement!  Our journey begins now....

So a while back when I dropped off Toddler Veg for his morning class the teacher told me that they were going to be making an art project today where they were gluing goldfish.  She indicated that they did contain dairy and wheat, but not peanuts and tree nuts.  They also indicated that they will not be encouraging the kids to eat the goldfish and will be working in a 2 student to one teacher ration.  I am not going to lie, this did worry me a bit....would he have a reaction to the milk by touching it?  Will he have hives when I pick him up?  Does Pepridge Farm use the same equipment to manufacture their goldfish that contin peanut products?  Its kind of crazy the new set of what if's that now arise in my mind.  To help with safety I did contact Pepridge Farm and they do mark on the packages if there is a possible "may contains peanut/tree nuts."  And the peanut butter golfish is seasonal.  Just kind of crazy the added things that go into what should be a typical drop your little one off to play type of day.  We are still adjusting to this new life....so much to learn.