Friday, February 4, 2011

The Gelatin Report-

I'd like to start a new label for my blog.  I am going to call it "The Gelatin Report."  I know sounds so formal and all :)  So let's start with....

What is gelatin? According to Wikipedia, Gelatin is a protein produced by partial hydrolysis of collagen extracted from the boiled bones, connective tissues, organs and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, pigs, and horses. It is commonly used as a gelling agent in food, pharmaceuticals, photography, and cosmetic manufacturing.  It is found in some gummy candies as well as other products such as marshmallows, gelatin dessert, and some low-fat yogurt.

So as a vegetarian one must decide just how strict you will be.  Will you eat gelatin?  Personally, it just kind of grosses me out knowing its extracted from boiled bones, tissues, organs, etc.  ICK! But that is my choice, you have to make you own :)  Do what is right for you. 

In this label, I plan to share some of the products I have found that I was quite surprised that they contained gelatin.  Keep those eyes open....